At Shire, we are proud and grateful to employ military veterans and thank them for their contributions to our company and our country. See where your military experience can play a role at Shire by using our military skills translator job search tool below:
Kiewit Corporation Civil Engineering Intern - Winter 2022 in Ottawa, Ontario
Requisition ID: 125487
Job Level: Internship
Department: Construction Operations
Employment Type: Full Time Temporary
Are you interested in a hands-on real-world learning experience directly related to the skills needed in a full-time construction career? In this internship, you will have the opportunity to develop, participate and learn key roles and functions within construction management.
One of the many things that makes Kiewit’s culture unique is that we go where the work is, which exposes your career to abundant opportunities. We relocate our teams based on the work that is available, combined with the development plans, skill sets and career goals of each team member. This means your Kiewit adventure is custom designed to meet our shared needs.
This opportunity will support projects across the country in large cities and small towns. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date.
There are multiple internships available in Ottawa, Oakville, Montreal, Laval, Kingston, Toronto and more!
Interns will have the opportunity to work as part of a dynamic team under the guidance of experienced engineers. You may be called upon to perform a variety of engineering and construction management tasks. The intern will be placed in one of the three areas: office intern, field intern and estimating intern.
You will be responsible for the following tasks;
Field engineering, operation planning, cost control, project scheduling, quantity tracking, material procurement, contract administration, estimating & supervision of field activities
Performing engineering tasks requiring standard techniques and handling minor problems of a technical nature arising during construction
Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
Investigating problems and/or reported incidents, identifying, and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
Estimation of costs for large-scale projects
Use of several software (Hard Dollar, AutoCAD, P6, InRoads etc.)
• Ability to travel or relocate as needed
• Currently pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in civil engineering, construction management or related
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in a wide-ranging climates and environments
• Highly motivated, with a demonstrated passion for excellence and taking initiative
• Strong work ethic, willing to do what it takes to get the job done right the first time
• Demonstrated commitment to ethics and integrity
• Passion for safety, with the ability to help us ensure that nobody gets hurt
• Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
• Team player with the ability to work independently to meet deadlines, goals and objectives
• Strong organization, time management, and attention to detail
We believe in equal opportunity in employment practices without discrimination, and comply with all laws regarding human rights in the provinces where we operate.